Sunday, November 4, 2012

Politics?

I wanted to write a post this week about my feelings on politics, since on Tuesday we're going to be pulling together as a nation to decide whether we want to be led by the "Antichrist" or an "Anarchist Capitalist"  for the next four years. However, I've done a number of drafts and I couldn't get out what I wanted to say on the topic without sounding uneducated and angry. So I've given up on the idea. 

I see so many people say the most horrific things about candidates running for various offices. I don't personally think Obama is the Antichrist nor do I feel like Romney is an Anarchist Capitalist (as a side note: I have not actually heard Romney referred to as such but I think the title rightly defines what those who oppose him think about his ideas). I may get some eye rolls for saying this but are these men not children of God? Are they somehow exempt from the respect you show to anyone else in your life?  It takes quite a person to run for office. That's four years of ridicule, contempt, and public scrutiny. Everything they do will be wrong to someone. They'll be called names that should only be reserved for Hitler and various Soviet Russian leaders. And all this because there's a few things in the country that they wanted to work on. Do they not deserve a pat on the back for at least trying?

There is a scripture in 3 Nephi 11:29-30 which reads:
For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another.
Behold, this is not my doctrine, to stir up the hearts of men with anger, one against another; but this is my doctrine, that such things should be done away.

Frankly, all I see in the world of politics is the spirit of contention and I will have none of it. I know too many people who "check their religion at the door" when it comes to politics and it disappoints me. Who you vote for or if you choose to vote is a personal matter. For some people that choice reflects their hopes for themselves and their future and ridiculing or belittling their choice is insulting.

I know I'm far from perfect when it comes to judging and ridiculing others based on their ideals. I try not to but I'm often a miserable failure. I just hope your political views don't get in the way of seeing just what those politicians are: human.

2 comments:

  1. Love this Virginia! Absolutely LOVE it! Would you mind if I shared this... if I so choose?

    ReplyDelete