Monday, February 18, 2013

Dumbo Meets Bambi

Due to the fact that I've been slacking on my new years resolution (and honestly, who doesn't slack on theirs?) this post will cover the next two Disney movies on my list. Not that this is a bad thing or anything since the next movies to watch are Dumbo and Bambi and I don't have much to say on either one.

So, here's my thoughts on Dumbo:

This movie is way short and could actually stand to be shorter. There are parts of this movie that are beyond pointless to the plot...I'm talking about that whole Pink Elephants on Parade bit. Not only is it creepy but the style it's drawn in is completely different from the style of the rest of the film so it makes for an uncomfortable juxtaposition  Also, I don't know for sure since I've never had an alcoholic beverage in my life, but I'm pretty sure drunkenness does not cause hallucinations.

Once again Disney, I know you were friends with Dali, but it's really not the best idea to always take the opinions of a surrealist to heart.

Also Dumbo seems to have some major issues with proportion/scale consistency in its characters. Those elephants change size all the time and Timothy, Dumbo's little mouse friend, goes from being mouse sized to the size of a crow by the end of the movie. I don't know about you but I never want to encounter a rodent that transforms sizes so quickly.

I do love the story book style this movie was drawn in though. I love it so much I'd rather sit down and read the story than watch it.

One thing that Dumbo utilizes in an absolutely fabulous way is silhouettes. They are just brilliant!

Finally, a few miscellaneous thoughts on this film: I'm sure people who are all about animal rights go crazy over this movie. Being unkind to anyone, but ESPECIALLY a child is absolutely wicked. And does anyone else ever wonder if, when Dumbo grows up, he grows into his ears or will his ears grow with him so that they're always disproportionately huge?

And here are my thoughts on Bambi:

Bambi has two things in common with a landscape painting; it's very pretty and very boring.

I do love the song from the opening sequence though.


No comments:

Post a Comment